super`search

Custom Search

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Project: Sugar Wax to save money

"Jess, of course it will hurt, you're ripping your hair out. But it should be a bit more painless than having someone else do it. Plus it's way cheaper."

"Are you sure it works?"

"It's what I use..."

Saving money,  while attempting to feel somewhat more like a female is right up my alley. Naturally I jumped at the chance to heat up a batch and try it myself. I researched it over and over to see what techniques might work a bit better for me. I even went out to purchase a small amount of denim just in case I needed backup strips.

Night one: Fail. The concoction wasn't heated to the proper temperature.
Night two: Fail. Although the viscosity of the concoction passed  the "ball and rip" technique did not.
Night three: Fail. Purchased the denim strips, applied and ripped. Pain passed, hair removal did not.

And now I am stuck with a useless pile of denim strips, a bowl of sticky brown goo, four red welts on my shins, a curious four year old asking why I "like the sticky" and one razor burn from when I eventually gave up, showered and shaved.

To my friend:

Meg, you got me. April fools! ..or whatever sinister plan you had brewing in your gut.

To Whoever came up with the sugar wax prank:

You are indeed cruel, mean-hearted, hate-filled and genius.

5 comments:

  1. jess, you are too cute! i love your writing style, very humorous :). good luck on your projects...you'll have to post pictures of your crocheting. i can never get past the basic knitting stuff because i always mess up and don't know how to fix anything!

    ----
    http://happywhats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss Courtney,

    Thank you very much for your support! It turned out that the initial scarf for Emily ended up being a beanie for Nick, which in turn became a hat for Betty and finally a hat for Emily's doll.

    The second project turned was initially a beanie for Nick, which then turned into a hat for Emily and when it was too small became a "mad-hatter" type bonnet for Betty. (I am unraveling it as I type..)

    I completely understand you on trying to "fix" the problem. I still can't tell the difference between each specific knit. Instead I just unravel until it looks even or "familiar"? I know that's probably wrong.

    Don't know if I'm cut out for it.. crocheting is more like baking in which I actually have to pay attention to what I'm doing and be precise. (Which is why I'm not a baker.) It's like some sort of strange discipline! Discipline and paying attention are very foreign to me.

    I'll definitely post pictures when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha!....it's always good to have little ones to give our projects to. mine always end up going to my nieces or nephew :).

    perhaps the paying attention is a good exercise for the add you spoke of? exercise your patience and focus? however, baking is much tastier!

    ----
    http://happywhats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be a supersnob, you must oppose to snob and his opponents, and must determine the fashion, taste, manners etc. yourself instead of following them.

    Snob is craveing for snob company, supersnob doesn’t crave for anybody. Supersnobs can’t form part of society, since each of them is something seperate.

    Egocentrism, by definition, is a picture of yourself as a world center, extremeindividualism and selfishness.

    Supersnobs also opposes this idea and do not regard themselves as the center, but as something outside its centers and to what makes centers - outside personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir,

    I'm sure you have a great idea of what today's snob should be. You probably wear it very well on a daily basis.

    I can be a snob by setting higher standards than what is expected by the every day "norm" and not have to portray them outwardly in order to be mistaken for a jerk.

    My idea behind supersnob is one such: to test the hype, see why it's so popular and then determine from there whether it's worth my time or not.

    Again I am not a snob, but a supersnob in which I do not conform to a basic idea of what someone else's supersnob should be, I am better than that.

    And to you, I am the center or else you would not have taken the time to write me such a wonderful review. Thank you for resting my case.

    ReplyDelete